Wednesday, January 21

biblical metaphors

I've found recently that I really love biblical metaphors. Such as Jesus being "the bread of life" and "the light of the world". Recently I've been really inspired/attracted/amazed by the latter. I have a quote by MLK Jr. a few posts down that I absolutely love and I want to talk a little about that again today. The very last part of it..."darkness cannot put out darkness, only light can do that". I shared about this at Adsideo the other day and I want write about it too.

Adsideo had a Hat.Sock.Glove.Give the other day and I noticed while walking around, all the people we helped were huddled up next to a building or doorway. This is usually where you will find the homeless population, but the thing of it was, it was a gorgeous sunny day! Now, it was still very cold and windy so that is why they were huddled up. But when you think about the end piece of that quote (darkness cannot put out darkness), and then you see these homeless friends, in a state of darkness, standing in literal darkness, and then you step into a spot of sun beaming through the buildings, and feel how warm, fresh, bright, comforting and peaceful this amazing light is, it makes sense that indeed, "Darkness cannot put out darkness, only light can do that".

Jesus is that light. Not the light from the sun, but the light that will heal us, that will fill us, that will guide us, and will never leave us. So, you could say, "Darkness cannot put out darkness, only Jesus can do that".

The cool thing is that since we're filled with the spirit, we too understand and posses that light. So when we see our friends huddled up in a state of darkness and in literal darkness, we can put it out.

1 comment:

kylee said...

amen. thanks for sharing wade.