Monday, March 16

Community

I'm still reading tuesdays with Morrie, by Mitch Albom. I came across another great quote from Morrie that I wanted to share. It's about community. As I get towards the end of the book, which is the end of Morrie's life, nearly everything he says regards the need for community.

-"In the beginning of life, when we are infants, we need others to survive, right? And at the end of life, when you get like me, you need others to survive, right?"
His voice dropped to a whisper. "But here's the secret: in between, we need others as well."-

I think this is pretty special. It seems simple and many of you might be saying "duh!". But when I read this, I thought about my life; where I've been, where I am, and where I'm headed. None of it would have happened, none of it's happening, and none of it will happen, without the help of others.

Most of us don't like to be dependant on others. We take pride in doing things ourselves. We feel a sense of acomplishment when we can say, "I did this all on my own!" But I think we need to change. There are so many people in this world that would love to help and so many that need our help! Even asking someone for help when you don't really need it can be a help to the person who is doing the helping, because you are including them.

Community. Morrie knows it well, and is teaching me, page by page.

No comments: